Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recording Keyboards

Recording a Keyboard
This is another question I get asked a lot. How do you record the actual sound of your keyboard onto your computer? Well, many people get confused about the difference between making a MIDI connection from their keyboard and actually recording the sound.
If you do want to record the sound of your keyboard, then a MIDI connection will not do the job. All a MIDI interface will do, is transmit data.
If you want to Record the Actual Sound from your Keyboard onto your computer then you need to connect the Line Out (or headphone out if no line out) from your keyboard to the Line In of your sound card or external audio interface.  If you have a generic sound card built in to your computer, and your keyboard has one line out port, then a simple jack to mini-jack cable will do the job.
** However if you are recording from you keyboards live OR in a Home Studio, I highly recommend using a Direct Box (D.I. Box)
I recommend ART’s Zdirect Professional Passive Direct Box - $25.

§  Go from the Line Out from your Keyboard
§  To the Line Input on the Direct Box
§  Then take an XLR Out to a Channel on your Mixer
§  *You can also take a 2nd cable to the stage to mic your amp
§  It does have a Ground Lift Switch if you need to reduce hum

As a sound guy, this is the standard method I use for not only Keyboards, But Guitars. It gives me a nice clean level and a great “Live” sound from your amp. And by bringing in 2 channels per instrument into the mixer, it “Fattens” up your sound; this is a great way to “Mix” better. Then in Mix down, you can play with how much dry and wet signal you want – giving you a very nice sound in the end product.
 Well I hope that helped a bit. I know Recording can get confusing at times so if you have questions or get stuck trying to hook things up - just drop me a email, I'll help you.
Tomorrow we will talk about recording your vocals.
Rory

No comments:

Post a Comment