Thursday, April 21, 2011

Recording has Sure Changed

Boy recording has sure changed; years ago I would use a 16 channel mixer – sending the output to an analog 4 track audio cassette record deck. Then I upgraded to an Alesis ADAT, 8 digital channels – man with that I did some cool overdubbing and produced several of my published songs.
Then 2 years ago, still using my 16 Channel Behringer mixer, I would mix bands live in my home studio, then sending the stereo output to my Dell laptop into Sound Forge Studio. From Sound Forge I would edit, and mix down the wav files to import into Nero to burn a nice demo Audio CD.
Granted, it worked, but I wasn’t seeing the BIG PICTURE – I wasn’t working smart and I sure wasn’t harnessing the true power of this digital technology – the Digital Audio Workstation, or DAW.
So I purchased Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, and for my Audio Interface, I purchased M-Audio’s Fast Track Ultra 8R. (A nice 8 Channel interface)
I have to say I have heard Pro Tools has a steep learning curve, but I decided not to let that bother me and dove right in. Watching tutorials on YouTube helped a bunch and in no time I was up and recording with Pro Tools – wow, I should have been doing this years ago. Pro tools is very powerful, and at the same time, it is very user friendly – very customizable, if you need a stereo 2 track mix, or a full 48 track for a movie score, Pro Tools does it all and more. Add in all the virtual instruments and hundreds of plug-ins and now you can record, mix-down and master professional audio equal to any professional recording studio.
I feel the Monkee’s song says it best, “Now I’m a Believer!” So take the plunge, give your music the professional edge it requires with Pro Tools, your music and career will thank you.
Until tomorrow,
Rory

No comments:

Post a Comment